Gender Advisor Job at GIZ
As an international cooperation enterprise for sustainable development with worldwide operations, the federally owned Deutsche Gesellschaft fur Internationale Zusammenarbeit (GIZ) GmbH supports the German Government in achieving its development-policy objectives.
GIZ is looking to fill the position of Gender Advisor in the Sport for Development in Africa regional project in Zanzibar(Unguja and Pemba).
Launched in 2014, the ‘Sport for Development in Africa'(SADA) Regional Project establishes sport as a tool for achieving development goals in selected African countries on behalf of the German Federal Ministry for Economic Cooperation and Development (BMZ). Building on the great enthusiasm for sport in Africa, the German development cooperation and its African partners constructed grassroots sports grounds, trained multipliers, and advised organisations on fostering youth development through sport in over 15 African countries by 06/2022.
From 07/2022 to 06/2025 S4DA focuses on promoting gender equality, female entrepreneurship, and gender-transformative approaches through sports aiming to change mindsets and behaviour patterns regarding the discrimination of women and girls. The project will be jointly implemented with the African Union Sport Council (AUSC) and other key stakeholders in Senegal, Tanzania (Zanzibar and Pemba), and Kenya. Additionally, smaller-scaie measures will be implemented in other African countries.
Duty station: Stone Town, Unguja with potential relocation to Chake Chake Pemba at a later stage in project implementation, duty travels within the region required on demand basis
Terms of the Contract: Fixed term contract.
Assignment period: Contract duration: 15th September 2022 until 30th June 2025
The Gender Advisor is responsible for:
- Supporting the implementation of the GIZ Gender Strategy focusing on internal and external gender mainstreaming in close cooperation with the S4DA Gender Focal Points of the regional project and GIZ Tanzania
- Supporting and advising partners in Unguja and Pemba on planning, implementation, monitoring and evaluation of gender transformative sport for development approaches tackling sexual and gender- based violence(SGBV)through sports(e.g. MenEngage)
- Providing gender-relevant information for S4DA project implementation with a specific focus on Unguja and Pemba and the Eastern Africa Region
- Capacity-building of partners and organizations in the field of gender and advisory in the development of policies, strategies, guidelines
- Maintaining international and national gender-relevant networks
- Advising the project manager and S4DA in implementing the GIZ Gender Strategy and updating them on
- relevant developments at company and policy level
The Gender Advisor will:
- Advise partners and organizations in gender-related topics, gender transformative sport for development approaches (e.g. MenEngage)
- Contribute to the Zanzibar (Unguja and Pemba) specific gender analysis on project and country level
- Conduct capacity-building measures for partners in gender and sport for development related topics
- Liaise with S4DA Gender Focal Points to conduct trainings for GIZ employees, interns, and development workers on relevant GIZ gender policies and their implementation
- Participate in national and international gender networks
- Monitor gender-relevant developments in Tanzania and internationally, and regularly update projects and staff on relevant topics
- Contribute to the design and further development of S4DA’s gender-sensitive results-based monitoring system
- Collect and compile relevant gender legislation within Tanzania and Zanzibar
- Support the drafting of S4DA factsheets and external communications products related to gender and gender transformative approaches in sport for development
- Advise the project manager and technical advisors as well as partners on the integration of do-no- harm approaches in the project cycle
- Contribute to peace and conflict as well as do-no-harm analysis on project and country level
- Cooperate closely with the Security Risk Management Office in Tanzania in terms of information sharing and conflict monitoring
- Participate in and contribute actively to meetings with the Gender/Security Focal Points
- Master’s degree in gender studies, sociology, sports, peace and conflict or any other relevant field, or highly relevant working experience in a comparable position
- Practical experience in the implementation of gender projects and conflict transformation, sport for development
- Proven experience in the compilation of gender, peace and conflict / do-no-harm analysis
- Good working knowledge of ICT technologies (related software, phone, e-mail, internet)and computer applications^.g. MS Office)
- Fluent written and oral knowledge of English and Swahili
- At least five years professional experience in a comparable position.
- Willingness to upskill as required by the tasks to be performed – corresponding measures are agreed with management
- High level of confidentiality
- High level of cultural awareness and sensitivity
- Advanced language skills in German are considered an additional benefit Applications:
Interested candidates are requested to send their letter of application together with their CV and academic certificates by email to [email protected]
Please use the subject line “Gender Advisor”
Closing date for submission: 17.08.2022
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
GIZ Tanzania is an equal opportunities employer and encourages applications from all qualified and eligible candidates regardless of their gender, origin, religion/belief, disability, or any other minority group.