Program Manager at MEFMI
PROGRAM MANAGER – SOVEREIGN ASSET MANAGEMENT
The Macroeconomic and Financial Management Institute of Eastern and Southern Africa (MEFMI) is a regionally owned Institute with 14 member countries, currently: Angola, Botswana. Burundi, Eswatini, Kenya, Lesotho, Malawi, Mozambique, Namibia, Rwanda, Tanzania, Uganda, Zambia and Zimbabwe. Established in 1997, MEFMI was founded with the view to building sustainable capacity in identified key areas in ministries of finance, planning commissions and central banks, or equivalent institutions. MEFMI strives to improve sustainable human and institutional capacity in the critical areas of macroeconomic and financial management; foster best practices in related institutions; and bring emerging risks and opportunities to the fore among executive level officials. MEFMI seeks to achieve, within its member countries, prudent macroeconomic management, competent and efficient management of public finances, sound, efficient and stable financial sectors and stable economies with strong and sustained growth. The MEFMI Secretariat is based in Harare, Zimbabwe.
Applications are invited from suitably qualified nationals of MEFMI member countries to fill the position of Program Manager – Sovereign Asset Management.
Reporting to the Director, Financial Sector Management Program, the Program Manager – Sovereign Asset Management is responsible for designing, developing, and coordinating capacity building activities in support of sovereign asset management. This will specifically cover official foreign exchange reserves management, deposit protection funds, investor protection funds, public sector (Government) pensions funds and sovereign wealth funds for MEFMI member countries.
Key Performance Areas
- Identify ueeds/skills gaps in sovereign asset management to design workshops that address these needs;
- Plan and coordinate country specific technical assistance missions;
- Prepare and conduct MEFMI workshops/seminars including those delivered on MEFMI E- learning management system;
- Coordinate and conduct joint workshops or technical assistance missions with technical cooperating partners;
- Prepare an annual work programme on sovereign asset management for inclusion in the MEFMI prospectus;
- Assist in the selection of candidate Fellows, develop a customized training plan (CTP) for Fellows, and ensure effective utilisation of the graduated and accredited fellows in capacity building activities in sovereign asset management.
Qualifications and Experience
- At least a Master’s Degree in Finance. Banking, Economics or other related field;
- At least 5-10 years progressive experience in either sovereign reserves management or asset management;
- Demonstrable understanding of the Macroeconomic environment as it relates to Reseives; and
- Experience of working in a multicultural professional environment will be an added advantage.
Desirable skills and attributes
The following will be added advantages:
- Being a MEFMI Fellow; or having been part of MEFMI Technical Working Group;
- Specialised investment management qualifications like CFA;
- Prior research and / or capacity building experience;
- Computer literacy and a working knowledge of technology platforms used in reseives management.
- Strong qualitative, quantitative and analytical skills;
- Ability to work long hours and under pressure including travel;
- Excellent written (report writing) and verbal skills;
- Leadership skills and ability to operate at both strategic and operational levels;
- Team Spirit and strong interpersonal skills;
- Working knowledge of Portuguese will be an added advantage
The successful candidate will be appointed on a fixed term contract of three (3) years, renewable subject to performance. On offer is an attractive remuneration package which includes a tax-free salary paid in US dollars which is competitive with other similar organisations.
Location and Language
The position is located at the Institute’s Secretariat in Harare, Zimbabwe and the official language of the Institute is English. A working knowledge of Portuguese would be an added advantage.
Applications should be submitted by 16 September 2022.
MEFMI is an equal opportunity employer and both male and female candidates are encouraged to apply.
Please send your applications to [email protected]
At this stage, applicants are requested to only email their updated CV and cover letter (no certificates). No hard copies will be entertained. Please indicate the position you are applying for.
Only short-listed applicants will be contacted.