Senior Credit Manager Job Opportunity at Standard Chartered
Senior Credit Manager
Dar es Salaam
Primary Location: Africa & Middle East-Tanzania, United Republic of-Dar es Salaam
Employee Status: Permanent
Posting Date: 24/Jan/2023, 1:29:40 PM
Unposting Date: 08/Feb/2023, 2:59:00 AM
Inform the development of business’ plans with the provision of cost and impairment forecasts and a balanced judgement on the external environment
Communicate the strategic intent and collective agenda for the Function’
Maintain and develop the Function’s risk capabilities, and skills to meet ongoing business needs and plans
Supervise all processes where a member of the Function is the identified first line process owner
Ensure effective management of the operational risks within the Function and compliance with applicable internal policies, and external laws and regulations
Continuously improve the operational efficiency and effectiveness of the Function’s risk management processes
People and Talent
Help coaching the junior credit managers, with an aim to nurture the next generation of senior credit managers
Uphold and reinforce the independence of the Function from those whose primary responsibility is to maximise short-term revenues and profits
Ensure the provision of ongoing training and development of the Function’s people Lead through example and build the appropriate culture and values within the business and across the wider organisation
Ensuring that the quality of Group Mandates, Business Credit Applications (BCAs) and other credit submissions meets Group standards, particularly with regards to the completeness and depth of risk analysis.
Approving breaches of Local Portfolio Standards, to the extent permitted by WB Credit Policy.
Formulating and obtaining approval of Portfolio Standards which is supportive (from credit risk perspective) of the business strategy of various segments
Ensuring credit related issues be timely raised to Senior Credit Officer with all necessary suggestions for rectifications
Assisting Senior Credit Officer on timely submission of portfolio reviews and ensure accuracy of credit portfolio data as and when required. Ensure EAR process is adhered to and take an active part in the monthly EAR discussions. Assisting relationship managers in identification and managing up or out of accounts exhibiting signs of deterioration and assist Group Special Assets Management, where appropriate, in managing accounts to maximise recoveries and minimise losses.
Ensure compliance to the Operational Risk framework including the effective application of risk toolkit (self-assessments, KRIs, KCSs, etc) and reporting.
Initiate or assist stress tests as required by internal and external factors and review results and assess their implications
Uphold the integrity of risk/return decisions, by challenging business to demonstrate that risk origination and control decisions are properly informed and consistent with strategy
Direct appropriate response to material events or other risk issues that come to the SCO’s attention
Exercise risk control responsibility for Credit Risk, Corporate, Institutional and Commercial
Ensure that material risk exposures and related issues are reported to Senior Credit Officer and/or Function as appropriate
Maintain a good understanding of the requirements of key external stakeholders in respect of risk management and ensure these are well understood internally
Actively participate in key committees or forums (if invited)
Ensure first line process owners understand and accept their risk management responsibilities
Maintain an open and cooperative relationship in dealings with regulators (if applicable)
Provide a reference point on credit systems for collating and passing on to Group Technology and Operations problems and proposed enhancements.
Increasing working profits through effective management of the loan asset portfolio in order to help develop the franchise in a sustainable way and minimise provisions.
Maximizing Economic Revenue through effective management of the risk/reward relationships.
Maintaining credit quality and standards of professionalism for the risk function.
Ensure effective implementation of Group Policies / Circulars / Procedures.
Undertake regular customer visits to better understand the business environment
Regulatory & Business Conduct
Display exemplary conduct and live by the Group’s Values and Code of Conduct.
Take personal responsibility for embedding the highest standards of ethics, including regulatory and business conduct, across Standard Chartered Bank. This includes understanding and ensuring compliance with, in letter and spirit, all applicable laws, regulations, guidelines and the Group Code of Conduct.
Lead the [country / business unit / function/XXX [team] to achieve the outcomes set out in the Bank’s Conduct Principles: [Fair Outcomes for Clients; Effective Financial Markets; Financial Crime Compliance; The Right Environment.] *
Effectively and collaboratively identify, escalate, mitigate and resolve risk, conduct and compliance matters.
[Insert local regulator e.g. PRA/FCA prescribed responsibilities and Rationale for allocation].
[Where relevant – Additionally, for subsidiaries or relevant non -subsidiaries]
Exercise authorities delegated by the Board of Directors and act in accordance with Articles of Association (or equivalent)
- In country segment Heads, Senior Bankers, RMs, credit/Marketing groups
- Head, Group Audit (Country)
- Treasurer (Country) and various GM Head of Sales
- Head SAG/SAR (Country and Regional)
- Head, Legal Affairs and Compliance (Country)
- Senior Credit Officer
- Corporate and Institutional relationships in country
- Members of the legal professions
- Directors/Key contacts in the business community
- Auditors / Government regulators
Our Ideal Candidate
- Market knowledge: substantial experience in the banking industry, including demonstrated success in a similar or credit risk management role.
- Business strategy and model: sharp business acumen (including ability to assess risk and appropriate levels of return), strong leadership qualities, interpersonal skills and multi-cultural awareness and sensitivity.
- Risk management and control: demonstrated track record in successful management and ability to manage risk in a highly varied product base. Expertise in process design and control.
- Regulatory framework and requirement: awareness and understanding of the regulatory framework in which the firm operates and the regulatory requirements and expectations relevant to the role of Senior Credit Manager.
- Non-technical skills: relationship management experience- with external stakeholders, including regulators and rating agencies.
- Role specific training which are mandatory and developmental
- Risk management framework
- Core credit curriculum
- Other training as deemed mandatory by the bank and updated on a periodic basis.
Role Specific Competencies
- Credit Risk Management
- Operational Risk Management