Open Cast Mining – Superintendent at Barrick – North Mara Gold Mine LTD
Open Cast Mining – Superintendent
Barrick – North Mara Gold Mine LTD
The Barrick Africa Middle East Team is seeking to recruit a Open Cast Mining Superintendent to join and grow our team.
Join our exceptional team and embody Barrick’s core values as you work with us. We are in search of individuals who can champion Barrick’s DNA by:
- Communicating Honestly, Transparently, and Acting with Integrity
- Exhibiting a Results-Driven approach
- Delivering solutions that are Fit for Purpose
- Dedicating themselves to Building a Sustainable Legacy
- Taking Responsibility and being Accountable
- Committing to Zero Harm
- Cultivating strong and meaningful Partnerships
- If you’re ready to contribute to our world-class team while embracing these values, we encourage you to apply and become a valued member of our diverse workforce.
- The OC Mining Superintendent is responsible for the safe and efficient production of ore and waste to the approved Mining Plan.
- The role is a leadership role and as such, is accountable for ensure that each subordinate is adequately supported with equipment, personnel resources, skills, appropriate engineering controls and information to manage safety and production quality in the working area.
- Ensuring all activities undertaken by employees and subcontractors are carried out in accordance with the operation’s safety policies and procedures.
- Ensuring compliance with environmental management practices that minimize the impact of the operation on the environment.
- Managing work allocated to him in line with requirements of mining operations and from other departments that supports the business objectives.
- Liaise with the Mining Engineers, Geologists, and the Plant, to ensure that the crusher feed tonnage and blend is in accordance with the plan.
- Ensuring ongoing effective people management of the Department by setting clear performance objectives, providing regular feedback and development through training of staff.
- Manage Succession Planning within the Mining Team to ensure that Barrick achieves development of Tanzanian employees to assume positions of increasing accountability.
- Managing expenditure within the department through close supervision of contractors, control of labour employed, control of expenditure on parts, equipment, consumables and services and control of all sources of loss within the department.
- Implement and monitor operations budgeting and cost control systems.
- Provide leadership to ensure that employees and contractors adhere to safety and environmental standards that exceed worldwide industry practice and any applicable legislative requirements.
- Demonstrate initiative by being able to take full responsibility for production and quality of the mining operation, i.e., drilling, blasting, excavation, dumping and construction.
- Able to interpret mine plans and effectively communicate targets and goals to the production teams.
- Develop and maintain reporting procedures for production, metal recovery and operating cost. Implement commitment forecasts for Life of Mine.
- Deputize as Mining Manager as required.
- Ensure that works are performed to the approved Standard Operating Procedures (SOP) and Field Level Risk
- Assessments are undertaken prior to the commencement of the works
- Tertiary qualification in Mining Engineering or equivalent qualification.
- Mine Overseers Certificate of Competency or the equivalent will be an added advantage.
- Environmental Policy Awareness.
- Mines Health and Safety Act Awareness.
Experience and competencies needed
- Minimum of 7 to 10 years progressive experience in the mining industry including experience in large Mining Operations.
- Demonstrated skills with capital justification, budget development, expenditure, and controls.
- Experience in systematic coaching and training of employees is essential.
- Must have excellent written and spoken communication skills in the English language.
- Knowledge in Open Cast Mining supervision and management.
- Sound knowledge of mining and civil engineering concepts.
- Computer literacy.
- Full driving license.
- Office and document control/organization skills.
What We Can Offer You
- A comprehensive compensation package including bonuses and site-specific benefits.
- The ability to make a difference and lasting impact.
- Work in a dynamic, collaborative, progressive, and high-performing team.
- Opportunities to grow and learn with the industry colleagues are endless.
- Access to a variety of career opportunities across the organization.