Job Opportunity at UBONGO – Educational Consultant
POSITION: Education Consultant (Learning through Play)
REPORTS TO: Research and Outreach Supervisor
LOCATION: Kenya, Nigeria or Tanzania
8 months (September 2022-May 2023) – position pending funding
UBONGO is Africa’s leading producer of kids’ edutainment. As a non-profit social enterprise, we create fun, localized, and multi-platform educational content that helps kids learn, and leverage their learning to change their lives. Ubongo reaches millions of families across Africa through accessible technologies like TV, radio, and mobile phones. Our shows Ubongo Kids and Akili and Me currently air in 31 countries across Africa, in Swahili, English, French, and Kinyarwanda. We are now adapting the shows to even more languages including Kikuyu, Luo, Yoruba, Hausa, Igbo, and Twi. This is a great time to join an organization that’s rapidly growing across the continent, and work with a creative and impact-driven team committed to reaching as many families in Africa with life-changing edutainment.
We are looking for an Education Consultant. Working at Ubongo won’t be easy, but it will challenge and excite you with lots of responsibilities, plenty of fun, and give you the opportunity to impact the lives of millions of kids every day.
We’re looking for a dynamic, creative, and flexible Education consultant to ensure that we maintain the educational aspects of our content by conducting effective research and co-creation with our pan-African audience. You’ll work closely with our Head of Education, Disability and Inclusion Specialist, and Education and Research Supervisor, to incorporate learning through play in our co-creation and research processes, and our content.
Research and user test Ubongo’s content
- Support incorporating Learning through Play (LtP) in our continuous and creative user testing processes for all content and products.
- Identify and reach out to partners for research and user testing
- Conduct inclusive and playful user tests and co-creation sessions with kids or other stakeholders.
- Contribute to the development of materials for user-testing
- User testing our content at all stages of pre-production, production, and post-production
- Incorporate best practices in Special Educational Needs and Disabilities (SEND) and LtP
- Research, document and share best practices in engaging learners with special educational needs and disabilities, especially neurodivergent learners with Autism and/or ADHD through co-creation and edutainment content
- Support the development of an inclusive curriculum for new shows and products
- Support the development of a LtP framework for our new show
TO BE A MATCH, YOU’LL NEED:
- A degree or qualification in Education, Early Childhood Development, Special Needs Education, or a similar field.
- Experience teaching pre-school and primary school children
- Significant experience working with and/or teaching children with SEND
- A high degree of familiarity with learning through play
- Ability to learn new software and research techniques as needed
- Strong analytical and written and verbal communication skills – the role will involve synthesizing information and presenting it to a variety of audiences
- Be willing to travel independently, sometimes remotely, as needed
- Ability to work remotely (experience with Asana, Slack, and Google Drive is a bonus)
- Fluent in English and Kiswahili, both written and spoken
- Have experience performing surveys, focus groups, or user testing
- Experience creating engaging learning resources for kids
- Knowledge of other local languages such as Luo, Kikuyu etc.
- Experience teaching or working with Autistic kids and/or kids with ADHD AND/OR lived experience of neurodivergence
Please note that only online applications will be considered. Those who come directly to the office with a CV or who email their CV to us will simply be directed to apply online.
So please save yourself time and effort by simply sticking to online applications. THANKS!