Job Opportunity at St. Constantine International School (SCIS) -Residential Boarding Assistant
Residential Boarding Assistant
St. Constantine International School (SCIS)
Closing Date: Monday 20th June 2022
WORKING AT SCIS
St. Constantine International School (SCIS) was founded in 1951 and is the oldest international school in Tanzania, as well as the largest international school in northern Tanzania.
We are seeking a dynamic colleague who is committed to the busy life of a boarding school. The successful candidate must have experience working with young people, ideally across the Primary-Secondary age ranges, and must possess excellent pastoral instincts and significant experience of pastoral care, preferably in a boarding environment. The successful candidate will have an excellent understanding of what makes a successful boarding school and must be willing to contribute to the team which leads the boarding house at SCIS under the leadership of the Head of Boarding. The successful candidate will also possess the energy and enthusiasm to contribute to our wide range of extra-curricular programmes.
NATURE OF THE JOB.
The Dormitory Patron Assistant acts as a caring and concerned parents figure and deals with students in a kind yet firm and judicial manner. A relationship of mutual trust and respect between the DPA and students creates an atmosphere of warmth and comfort that is vital in the Dormitory acting as a substitute home. The DPA helps manage the Dorm to ensure that all students are equally treated and cared for. The DPA administers corrective measures in collaboration with the Dorm Master and/or Directors. The DPA is present in the Dorm the weekend before school starts and the weekend after school closes.
- To ensure that the boarding students are woken up in time for school.
- To ensure that students make their beds and tidy their rooms before leaving for school and to monitor showering times.
- To ensure that students are dressed in the correct school uniform when leaving the Dorm for breakfast.
- To ensure that students leave the Dorm on time for breakfast.
- To help supervise breakfast and inform the Teacher on Duty of absentees
- To supervise and assist in the cleaning of the Dorms.
- To supervise laundry and ensure that students’ items are properly looked after.
- To ensure that students do not enter the Dorms during school time without a permission note from the Head of school, Deputy Headteacher or Dorm Master and to accompany those students with permission into the Dorm.
- To help supervise lunch for Infants and Junior Primary students.
- To monitor students’ behaviour in the Dorm after school.
- To monitor showering times.
- To ensure students leave the Dorm on time for supper.
- To help supervise dinner and inform the Teacher on Duty of absentees.
- To ensure students leave the Dorm on time for Prep.
- To ensure all students are back in the Dorm after Prep.
- To maintain order during tea and snack time, free time and study time.
- To monitor the use of the television in the Dorm and ensure programming is appropriate for the students’ age level.
- To enforce lights out times.
To help supervise all meals and inform the Teacher on Duty all Absentees.
To monitor students’ behaviour in the Dorm and on the school grounds. The DPA and teacher on duty should complement each other in monitoring students’ movements and behaviour on weekends.
To ensure students return to the Dorm after supper.
To accompany Dorm students to church services on a rotating basis.
To accompany Boarding students to weekend trips and events as per Boarding schedules
- To record all irregularities in the Logbook.
- To sign Exit form only if presented by a parent/guardian or person that is allowed to sign a student out. Please consult the sign-out list
- To record the names of students signed out in the Logbook.
- To ensure that students follow the Dormitory rules and regulations.
- Irregularities should be reported to the Teacher on Duty. If there is no Teacher on Duty, report to the Dorm
- Master. If the Dorm Master is not available, report to the Deputy Headteacher. If the Deputy Headteacher are not available, report to the Head of School.
- To report all maintenance work to the Operations Manager and follow up on these orders.
- Addendums to explain some procedures in more detail may be added to this job Description from time to time.
- Competitive terms of employment and outstanding working conditions.
- A competitive salary package.
- Accommodation and meals in the school boarding house
- Opportunity to work with a team of highly supportive and creative colleagues from all over the world.
- Excellent Professional Development.
- The chance to educate and shape the futures of some of the loveliest children and young people you will ever meet.
- Residential Boarding Assistant Job Vacancy at St. Constantine International School (SCIS)
- A diploma or degree in a relevant subject area is preferred
- Minimum of 3 years’ working in a school environment is very much preferred. Teaching experience would be advantageous.
- Evidence of significant experience working successfully with young people is an absolute minimum.
- Passion for working with children and a commitment to educating and developing the whole child.
- Ability to work effectively in a team.
- Recent and consistent involvement in extracurricular activities.
- Evidence of recent, relevant professional development in a related area..
Interested candidates are asked to visit our website https://scis.sc.tz/ and get a feel for the school before applying. Applicants are required to submit a CV and a letter of application (maximum one page A4) detailing why they feel they are suited for this position. On your CV, please include the names and contact email addresses of three professional referees, including the current or most recent Headteacher/School Principal. No referees will be contacted without prior permission.
Please send CVs and letters of application for the attention of the Deputy Headteacher, Mr Michael Murray, at [email protected].
Due to the expected high volume of applications, only short-listed candidates will be contacted.
St. Constantine’s International School is totally committed to safeguarding the welfare of children and young people and expects the same from its employees. All new staff will be subject to detailed and enhanced pre-employment clearance, including identity checks, criminal background checks for all countries lived in, qualification checks, employment checks to include an exploration of any gaps in employment, and satisfactory reference checks for all employment in the last 5 years.
Diversity, Equity and Inclusion Statement:
St. Constantine’s International School is an equal opportunity employer that is committed to diversity, equity and inclusion in the workplace. We prohibit discrimination and harassment of any kind in line with Tanzanian Law. This policy applies to all employment practices within our school.
St. Constantine’s International School makes recruitment decisions based solely on merit, i.e.whether or not candidates have the skills, experiences, attributes and traits required for the exceptional performance of the advertised role.
Closing Date: Monday 20th June 2022
Short-listed candidates will be contacted after the closing date. In exceptional cases, we may contact candidates before the deadline. Interviews will take place soon after the closing date. St. Constantine’s International School reserves the right to end the recruitment process early should we find the right candidate before the closing date.