Human Resources & Logistics Assistant Job Opportunity at Americares Tanzania
TITLE: Human Resources & Logistics Assistant
DEPARTMENT: Americares Tanzania
REPORTS TO: HR & Logistics Officer
ASSIGNMENT TYPE: Full-time
LOCATION: Mwanza, Tanzania
LENGTH: Project is funded until June 30th, 2023
Americares is a health-focused relief and development organization that saves lives and improves health for people affected by poverty or disaster. Each year, Americares reaches 85 countries on average, including the United States, with life-changing health programs, medicine, medical supplies, and emergency aid. Americares is one of the world’s leading non-profit providers of donated medicine and medical supplies. For more information, visit americares.org.
About the Community Partnerships for Respectful Care (CPRC) project:
The Americares Community Partnerships for Respectful Care (CPRC) is a 5-year project (2020-2025) funded by the U.S. Agency for International Development (USAID) with the aim to contribute to reducing mortality and morbidity among mothers and their children through improved community-based health care. The USAID CPRC project (USAID UZAZI STAHA in Swahili) provides strategic technical assistance at the national, regional and council levels to improve the quality and uptake of reproductive, maternal, newborn, child and adolescent health (RMNCAH), family planning (FP), and nutrition services, as well as strengthen respectful maternity care in Tanzania. Americares Tanzania works with Christian Social Services Commission (CSSC) in the implementation of the USAID CPRC project in the Mwanza Region.
COVID-19 Vaccination Support: Through the U.S. Government’s Initiative for Global Vaccine Access (Global VAX), USAID and other U.S. government agencies (e.g. CDC) are supporting Tanzania in reaching 70 percent of the eligible population with the COVID-19 vaccination. Through the CPRC project, USAID is supporting interventions to accelerate the uptake of COVID-19 vaccination in Mwanza and Shinyanga regions through social behavior change (SBC) and community outreach. The CPRC project will leverage its RMNCAH activities and relationships with key stakeholders to strengthen vaccination demand, community mobilization, service delivery and COVID-19 data management efforts in line with Tanzania’s Phase II acceleration plan and in close partnership with CDC vaccination service delivery support partners in the two regions. CPRC will use a ‘community scorecard’ approach for identifying barriers around COVID-19 vaccine uptake and creating locally driven solutions for combating vaccine hesitancy and misinformation and strengthening linkages between facility and community health services. Americares/CPRC will engage civil society organizations (CSOs) for grassroots-level mobilization and reach in the roll-out of interventions.
Americares is looking for a Human Resources and Logistics Assistant to support implementation of the CPRC Global Vax project in Tanzania. The HR and Logistics Assistant will provide support to staff and partners on matters related to recruitment, travel, employee relations and other administrative tasks. In this capacity she/he/they will be reporting to the HR & Logistics Officer to ensure efficient, transparent, and reliable human resources processes in compliance with Tanzanian legal requirements, USAID regulations and Americares HQ People and Talent global guidelines.
Female candidates are strongly encouraged to apply.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Assist in the recruitment process for staff and other positions as required, including screening resume, short-listing, phone screens, interview scheduling and background check and hiring new staff members.
- Assist in coordinating the onboarding process for new staff, including insurance enrollment, policy and handbook overviews, and orientation to the team.
- Update tracker and follow up on Americares staff performance evaluation to ensure processes are done in a timely manner.
- Provide support in employee relations, assist in conducting investigations, when necessary, with knowledge of local employee rights, and support to determine disciplinary action if appropriate
- Assist in updating staff database including tracking of all types of leave and ensure timesheets are submitted on time.
- Support general office management tasks such as coordinating workspace supplies and filing and records maintenance.
- Ensure the office environment is clean and ready in time for usage daily.
- Provide compliance oversight to internal processes, local labor law and USAID processes
- Support the HR & Logistics Officer in general staff issues such as training needs identification and follow up to ensure mandatory trainings are conducted by staff.
- Modelling and actively supporting HR initiatives to increase diversity, equity, and inclusion and promoting equal opportunities in the workplace as per HR Policy.
- Work with the HR & Logistics Officer to ensure that Americares complies with all Tanzania legal regulations as it applies to NGOs operating in Tanzania.
- Responsible for office equipment usage (photocopiers, printers, duplicating machine etc.) and report any breakdown to HR & Logistics Officer.
- Assist in the preparation of monthly fleet report
- Oversee a travel log system and ensure fuel cards are topped timely on monthly basis.
- Assist in scheduling drivers for meetings, site visits, and other in-country travels
- Support booking of flights and accommodation for staff traveling and assist with local bookings for international staff visits.
- Perform any other duties and tasks as guided by the supervisor
- Advanced Diploma or bachelor’s degree in human resources management, business, communications, or equivalent.
- At least two years of experience in human resources and/or office management
- Experience working for an NGO, particularly with experience under a USAID grant
- Ability to think critically and strategically
- Demonstrated commitment to diversity, equity, and inclusion in prior human resources roles
- Excellent interpersonal and communications skills
- Strong organizational skills with attention to detail
- Professional level of English language understanding and application (writing, reading, speaking, and listening)
- Proficiency in Office 365 including Word, Excel, Teams, PowerPoint and SharePoint
- Travel required from Mwanza to Shinyanga with frequency at first to help onboard new staff and afterwards as needed throughout the year
- Ability to implement HR practices, teamwork, and work community in a remote environment.
- Must participate in USAID mandated courses within 30 days of employment
- Unrestricted authorization to work in Tanzania
CORE AMERICARES RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Foster Americares values of Collaborative, Accountability, Responsive and Effective.
- Support staff to increase individual and team effectiveness; and
- Support implementation of plans to increase team operating performance.
HOW TO APPLY
To be considered for this position, the applicant should please the following items in an expression of interest to Americares:
- Curriculum vitae or resume that clearly spell out qualifications and experience
- Cover letter highlighting interest in the position and relevant skills
- Academic credentials
- List of 3 references
Deadline for submission: 10th July 2022
Submissions should be sent to: Americares recruitment portal link provided.
Applications will be reviewed as they are received.
As a global health organization, we are committed to ensuring a safe environment for our staff, partners, and visitors. All Americares staff and visitors who are on-site at any of our locations or will be traveling for work are required to be fully vaccinated (which includes a booster, when eligible) against COVID-19 unless an exemption required by law is applicable.
Americares is an equal opportunity employer. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, sex, sexual orientation, gender expression, pregnancy or pregnancy-related condition, age, national origin, ancestry, physical or mental disability, genetic information, marital status, veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.