HR Assistant Job Opportunity at Rentokil Initial – Tanzania
Dar es Salaam
Rentokil Initial – Tanzania
Pest Control & Hygiene Services
Rentokil Initial is a Global services company employing over 45,000 colleagues across 85 countries. The Company is at the cutting edge of technology and innovation as it strives to protect people and enhance lives, by controlling pests, improving hygiene and improving interior spaces with plants and scenting.
We are experts in the fields we operate in, investing in training, science, innovation and technology, and affording our employees Opportunities for Growth and Development
Listening and acting on feedback is part of our culture to support colleagues and our customers. Rentokil Initial regards equality and fairness as a fundamental right of all of its colleagues.
We live our values of Service, Relationships and Teamwork which were identified by our colleagues across the world.
Find out more on careers.rentokil-initial.com
Our family of businesses:
- Rentokil Pest Control is the world’s leading commercial pest control company who provide quality, diligent and friendly services to all our customers.
- We operate in over 65 countries and we are ranked in the top 3 in 63 of those.
- We are highly innovative and have leading technical and scientific expertise and our customers look to us for our knowledge and integrity.
- Although we don’t provide the most luxurious of services, this is certainly essential for all of our customers, and to make sure service happens.
- Initial Hygiene is the world’s leading hygiene services company who provide quality, diligent and friendly services to all our customers. We operate in over 40 countries and we are ranked in the top 3 in 38 of those. We produce high quality, tailored hygiene product ranges for washrooms – across all sectors and industries where our customers look to us for our knowledge and integrity
- Ambius is the world leader in providing interior landscaping services for a range of customers from boutique hotels, to shopping centres. We use planting, scenting, flowers, artwork and exterior landscaping maintenance to improve the environment for the benefit of the customer and their employees. Ambius is a global brand across North America, Europe South Africa, Sub Sahara and Australia.
- We have central support functions of Human Resources, IT, Finance, Legal and Marketing & Innovation in the Rentokil Initial Head Office locations and in country.
- You would be supporting the business in Dar es Salaam.
- A vacancy has arisen for a HR and Health & Safety Assistant in our Tanzania business, to be based in Dar es Salaam.
- The role entails offering technical and administrative human resource services in the HR functions of Recruitment and Staffing, Training, Employee Relations, HR Information and Database administration, Engagement and Welfare, and Insurance, Payroll and Administration, and Health & Safety.
- Your key duties and responsibilities will be as follows, but not limited to:
Your day-to-day responsibilities will include:
Recruitment and Staffing
- Receive and maintain a database of job applications by sorting them per positions, source applications from recruitment companies, and or advertising as may be agreed
- Receive and file as appropriate New Employee Requisition Forms, and enforce usage of this form where it is not submitted by line managers
- Support in the shortlisting of applications, and call and schedule candidates for interviews, carry out interviews for positions of up to agreed work levels alongside relevant line supervisors
- Provide interview feedback to candidates as appropriate and timely
- Execute due diligence on selected candidates, in particular contact minimum 2 previous employers of a candidate, and another minimum 2 personal referees
- Create the induction programs with support from HRO and drive induction and onboarding of new candidates as appropriate
HR Records, Information and Database
- Maintain in softcopy the staff database complete with all employees’ relevant data, and update leavers and joiners details timely and as appropriate
- Review the database every 3 months to confirm updates and accuracy of employee information as part of quarterly report
- Maintain and update all employee personal files timely as required, and fill away all necessary correspondences into the files, within a weekly deadline
- Arrange the files neatly and in easily accessible order, for quick retrieval
- Retain a file movement register
- Maintain the Training Register file, and collect all training attendance records from the various line departments for filing and capturing in softcopy template
- Coordinate training programs per calendar
- Receive and keep a report of any grievances from employees
- Support the administration of disciplinary procedures by receiving any indiscipline cases reported to HR department by front line supervisors and/or line managers for appropriate action
- Enforce compliance to disciplinary procedures
- Retain a monthly report for industrial cases handled across the business and submit as per agreed template
- Support conflict resolution when called upon, offer guidance on ideal people management practice to supervisors as may be needed
- Manage the employee exit process in the case of staff separations by writing and administering necessary correspondence, exit interviews, thorough clearance process documentation, processing terminal pay and safe retention of closed files.
- Ensure acknowledgement record is signed by leaving employee and file
HR Administration and Payroll Support
- Support incidents and accidents management and reporting to insurance by collating from SHE Officer all necessary documentation and send to insurance, and maintain the insurance register file
- Coordinate with the Admin Rider for pick and drop of required correspondence to various stakeholders as necessary
- Handle NSSF & National Hospital Insurance related matters like staff queries, communications, updating staff records, and processing monthly remittances in liaison with Accounts office where needed
- Prepare relevant payroll monthly HR reports
- Retain a Probation Period Tracker
- Update the Leave Report Template on monthly basis for reporting by 3rd of a new month
- Support the branches and department develop Annual Leave Planners
- Maintain neatness and updates on all Company noticeboards, and update the Wall of Fame photos as necessary monthly
- Coordinate in-house trainings
Engagement and Welfare
- Coordinate any staff welfare programs as per Welfare Policy, and handle related communications
- Support in coordinating the company staff engagement survey (YVC) as needful
- Oversee facility management and cleanilines
Health & Safety; with the support and guidance of the SHE Officer;
Assess and ensure all the policy on Health and Safety, and best SHE practice is continuously being enforced by all stakeholders
Continuously assess and propose necessary adjustments to working practices, to ascertain they are safe and comply with legislation, and are in line with Rentokil Initial SHE best practice;
Support the documentation of emerging local SHE strategies and approaches, with the goal of communicating to all concerned colleagues
Actively champion local SHE Action Plans and programs as may be directed by Management
In close liaison with departmental heads, carry out risk assessments evaluating how risks could be reduced; compile comprehensive reports giving insight on noted improvement areas
Carry out regular and impromptu site inspections to check that policies and safe work procedures are being properly implemented by field staff; Give observatory reports on such compliance and suggest improvement areas. Keep custody of such records/findings safely
Arrange SHE in-house training under guidance of SHE Officer East Africa
Respond to, investigate and keep records of incidents and accidents when they occur, and produce necessary statistics for Management information & action;
Ensure to share these instances with staff making emphasis on Root Causes and lessons colleagues can learn on the same to avoid reoccurrence
Keep up to date with new SHE legislation and maintain a working knowledge of all legislation and any developments that affect the industry wherein the Company operates;
Produce management reports, newsletters and bulletins for the rest of the workforce as may be necessary in liaison with SHE/HR Office
Ensure the safe installation of equipment as may be needed.
Carry out equipment inspection and take required actions
Advise on Fire Safety regulations, hazardous substances handling, noise pollution where applicable as may be needed.
Undertake Fire Risk assessment, Fire Drills as may be necessary and follow up on servicing of fire appliances, and make compliance recommendations
Ensure there is adequate SHE signage for the premise and the branches
Follow up on workplace registration and yearly renewal of the same in liaison with the manager for the various Company premises
Ensure that employees, who are required, undergo annual OSHA Medicals
Inspect and oversee compliance to wearing Personal Protective Equipment by staff
Take minutes and coordinate SHE committee activities, ensuring committee members are active in dealing with SHE issues at the workplace
Support the HRO in collating information and reporting instances of incidents resulting to damage and work related injuries; and supporting employee induction on SHE matters hand-in-hand with, or in the absence of the HRO/SHE Officer
Coordinate as required all matters to do with the company fleet; coordinate driving tests, oversight vehicle usage, driver conduct, liaison with vehicle repairs and service provider as needed, coordinate fueling etc
Any other duties that may be assigned within this function
Undertake other ad-hoc responsibilities as required
Do you have what it takes? If you want to be considered for this role you will need:
Relevant Tertiary Education – degree in HR or relevant field with experience
Must have working knowledge of the country labour laws
Proficient in English & Kiswahili – written and spoken
Related work experience minimum 3 years
Employee relations & recruitment experience advantageous
Strong negotiation skills
Strong ownership & responsiveness
High energy levels (action orientated)
Problem solving skills/solution driven
Strong demonstration of the values of service, relationships and teamwork
Be self- motivated and display a high energy level
Excellent planning and organisational skills
Team player with a collaborative style
Demonstrates the ability to take the initiative
Highly developed communication skills (written / verbal / non-verbal)
Ability to form strong customer relationships at all levels
Are you interested? Here’s what you can expect when you join us…
Opportunity for Growth
Rentokil Initial believes in supporting all employees to provide equal opportunities
and avoid discrimination. We also place emphasis on workplace diversity which
means that we are serious about creating an inclusive environment that accepts
each individual’s differences, embraces their strengths and provides opportunities
for all colleagues to achieve their full
Do you love to provide a valued professional service throughout your community? Do you feel like you could do the job well? Apply for the role today!
Use our APP to View Daily Job Updates, Click HERE to Install On Your Smart Phone