Deputy Country Director- Programmes at BRAC International
Deputy Country Director- Programmes
Career with BRAC International
BRAC is an award-winning international non-governmental development organisation, with the vision of a world free from all forms of exploitation and discrimination, where everyone has the opportunity to realise their potential. BRAC is a leader in developing and implementing cost-effective, evidence-based programmes to assist poor and disadvantaged communities in low-income countries, including in conflict-prone and post-disaster settings. It is an organisation of and for the people of the Global South, pioneering new development and social enterprise approaches to equip communities to achieve prosperity. As well as being the world’s biggest NGO by number of staff and people directly reached, BRAC has regularly been ranked the number one NGO in the world by the Geneva-based NGO Advisor, an independent organisation committed to highlighting innovation, impact and governance in the non-profit sector. BRAC retained the top spot in 2020 among the top 500 NGOs for the fifth consecutive year.
BRAC was founded in Bangladesh in 1972 by Sir Fazle Hasan Abed. It started its first programme outside of Bangladesh in Afghanistan in 2002, and has since reached millions of people in 11 countries in Asia and Africa. BRAC has a holistic approach to development that uses a wide array of programmes and social enterprises, including in microfinance, education, health, agriculture, gender and human rights.
BRAC Maendeleo Tanzania (BMT) is seeking application from competent, dynamic and self-motivated individuals to fill the following position:
Deputy Country Director- Programmes, BRAC Maendeleo Tanzania
The Deputy Country Director – Programmes (DCD-P) is responsible for overall programmatic leadership to deliver highest program quality standards in accordance with BMT Country Strategy. This is achieved through proper program design, effective coordination, technical support and guidance to guarantee a cohesive team spirit and motivation to perform. S/he manages and ensures resource mobilization, prioritization and allocation, budgets, work plan coherence for impactful programming to meet the expectation of various stakeholders. S/he also promotes excellent working relationships with core, technical sectors and implementing partners and supports integration of all program resources in overall strategy. S/he networks with relevant in-country stakeholders and donors and deputizes for the Country Director, as may be required.
Strategic management for the Country Program
- Has a shared leadership accountability for the Country program strategy to deliver impactful programming and operations in BMT.
- Supports the development of a culture that reflects the values, vision and mission of BMT.
- Supports BMT to deliver outstanding results for beneficiaries and is the main liaison focal with donors.
- Participates in designing and managing a coherent organisational structure that is consistent with organisational practices and appropriate to program needs.
- Participate in Board of Directors/BI Senior Management and Country management Team meetings.
Participate fully in the annual budget process, leading the program budgeting process, and provide ongoing oversight and management of program budgets.
Development and Implementation
- Has delegated responsibility for delivery of high-quality programming in line with the aspirations of the BMT country strategy.
- Coordinates overall funding process from donors including identifying strategic leads, developing funding strategies that support country program growth.
- In close coordination with PRL and in-country teams, lead the development of high-quality concept notes and proposals.
- Ensures programs are implemented in ways responsive to the communities in line with BRAC principles, approaches, values and compliance procedures.
- Working closely with government and grassroot organisations or groups to strengthen national capacity.
- Ensures program implementation staff are well versed and are effectively applying organisational policies and practices.
- Ensures preparation of timely and high quality institutional and donor reports that reflects the impact of BMT programs.
Monitoring, Evaluation and Learning
- Manages program performance frameworks that outline the objectives, inputs, outputs, outcomes and the indicators that will be used to measurements.
- Support program teams to track and manage program milestones and deliverables, ensuring that goals are met and deliverables are provided on time.
- Lead quarterly Programme Management Team (PMT) review meetings.
- Coordinate assessments, research, studies, evaluations in accordance with BRAC and donor guidelines.
- Ensure action planning and execution to resolve audit and evaluation findings and recommendations in a conclusive and timely manner.
- Promote learning by ensuring information that is gathered during the implementation is used for accountability and to modify implementation approach.
Networking and Partnership
- Helps to establish, maintain, and improve active working relationships with the host government authorities at central and local levels.
- Represent organisation in sector working groups, network/alliance meetings, events and forums at national and international levels.
- Manage relationships with stakeholders, participating in BRAC-wide and regional initiatives
- Ensure effective partnerships and information flow and communication at all levels as per standard procedures and guidelines of the organisation.
- Initiate and nurture networks and alliances with academia, and research institutions.
Staff Management, Mentorship, and Development
- Promotes accountability and high performance, encourages a team culture of learning, creativity and innovation.
- Ensures appropriate staffing within Programs Department/unit including at field office levels for all staff to understand and to perform their roles.
- Manages Program team; define expectations, provide leadership and technical support as needed.
- Manages the recruitment, training, and promotion of staff as appropriate.
Staff Safety and Security
Work with the Safety and Security focal persons to ensure that minimum operating standards are met by field teams and that periodic security assessments are carried out and reports submitted to the Country Senior Management team on time.
- Establish a safeguarding culture across all levels of the programme by implementing the safeguarding policy.
- Act as a key source of support, guidance and expertise on safeguarding for Responsible to ensure team members are appropriately trained, supported and have access to resources regarding issues that are identified and actioned in accordance with the safeguarding policy and procedure.
- Follow the safeguarding reporting procedure in case any reportable incident takes place, encourage others to do so.
Master’s Degree in development related discipline/business/education/social sciences/ other related fields.
- Strong strategic and creative thinking.
- Demonstrated ability to take a strategic view across a large complex program.
- Excellent communication and negotiation skills
- Demonstrated skills in writing, editing and reporting
- Good knowledge of financial and administrative management
- Personal commitment, drive for results, efficiency and flexibility
- Ability to mobilize and influence different audiences and communities
- A minimum of 10 years management experience in an NGO or other humanitarian environment, including significant field operations in running development programs.
- Good understanding of program areas that includes education, health, food security/livelihoods, youth and women empowerment.
- Proven experience in designing and winning competitive proposals for major institutional donors as well as managing grants including compliance with the donor standards.
- Excellent knowledge for establishing and managing of a strong monitoring, evaluation and learning systems for complex programs.
- Substantial knowledge and experience of effective financial and budgetary control and supporting projects to stay on course with implementation.
- Exceptional general management and communication skills, including ability to communicate effectively with people of varied professional and cultural backgrounds.
- Previous experience of managing and developing a sizeable team and the ability to lead, motivate and develop others to achieve high impact results.
Employment Type: Contractual
Job Location: BRAC International Tanzania Office, Dar-es-salaam with frequent field travel.
If you feel you are the right match for the above mentioned position, please follow the application instructions accordingly:
External candidates need to email their CV with a letter of interest mentioning educational grades, years of experience, current and expected salary at [email protected]
Internal candidates need to apply with their latest CV including all job assignments in detail with BRAC PIN and email to [email protected]
Please mention the name of the position and AD# BI 92/22 in the subject bar.
Only complete applications will be accepted and short listed candidates will be contacted.
Application deadline: 8 September 2022
BRAC is committed to safeguarding children, young people and adults, and expects all employees and volunteers to share the same commitment. We believe every stakeholder and every member of the communities we work with has the right to be protected from all forms of harm, abuse, neglect, harassment, and exploitation – regardless of age, race, religion, and gender, status as an individual with a disability or ethnic origin. Therefore, our recruitment policy and procedure include extensive background checks and disclosure of criminal records in order to ensure safeguarding to the fullest extent.
BRAC is an equal opportunities employer