Administrative Officer Job Opportunity at UNHCR
Dar es Salaam
The UN Refugee Agency
UNHCR, the UN Refugee Agency, is offering a full-time position within the Administration team in our Representation Office, Dar es Salaam, Tanzania.
UNHCR is a global organization dedicated to saving lives, protecting rights and building a better future for refugees, forcibly displaced communities and stateless people. Every year, millions of men, women and children are forced to flee their homes to escape conflict and persecution. We are in over 125 countries, using our expertise to protect and care for millions.
Title: Administrative Officer
Duty Station: Dar es Salaam, Tanzania
Duration: One year
Contract Type: UNOPS, IICA-2 (Eqv.P3)
Opening date: 01 July 2022
Closing date: 14 July 2022
Start date: 15 August 2022
The Office of the UNHCR was established on 14 December 1950 by the Un General Assembly. The agency is mandated to lead and co-ordinate international action to protect refugees and resolve refugee problems worldwide. Its primary purpose is to safeguard the rights and wellbeing of refugees. It strives to ensure that everyone can exercise the right to seek asylum and find safe refuge in another State, with the option to return home voluntarily, integrate locally or to resettle in a third country.
The incumbent of this position will work under the direct supervision of the Senior Administrative Officer in Dar es Salaam and will combine the functions of Administrative and Fleet Management both for the UNHCR offices and UNHCR’s Partners in Tanzania.
The UNHCR Representative in Tanzania is the sole and overall responsible of the Tanzania operation involving Sub Office Kigoma, Field Office Kibondo, Field Office Kasulu and Field Unit Dodoma.
- We are seeking a dynamic and proactive team player, with an ability to work independently to support the Administration team.
- The Administrative Officer will contribute for the implementation of general administrative and resource management tasks as delegated by the supervisor.
- S/he will work with an oversight from the supervisor, who will provide general guidance and work plans for identifying work priorities and appropriate approaches; work is controlled for meeting expected results.
- S/he will support in the establishment and maintaining efficient administrative control mechanisms to ensure compliance with UN administrative, financial and human resources rules and procedures.
- Contacts on administrative/budgetary related issues are mainly with Sections/Units/Offices within the organization both at HQ and in the Field and with local suppliers/services to ensure provision of services and resolution of difficult problems.
- In consultation with the Senior Admin Officer the incumbent will maintain frequent external contacts with counterparts in other organizations or at working level in national Governments on issues of importance to Organization’s programmes. He/she acts as adviser
- The incumbent of the position will be also responsible for all aspects of Fleet Management across the country for the UNHCR operation in Tanzania.
- S/he will be accountable to perform his/her duties as reflected in the job description and within delegated authorities, in line with the regulatory framework of UNHCR which includes the UN Charter, UN Staff Regulations and Rules, UNHCR Policies and Administrative Instructions as well as relevant accountability frameworks.
- In addition, she/he is required to discharge his/her responsibilities in a manner consistent with the core, functional, cross-functional and managerial competencies and UNHCR’s core values of professionalism, integrity and respect for diversity.
Duties and responsibilities
Under the direct supervision of the Senior Administrative Officer, the incumbent of the position will undertake the following responsibilities:
- To support the day-to-day administrative operations of the office.
- Provide advice on administrative policies and procedures.
- Liaise with Government and other external actors in providing vital supportive services (i.e., processing of residency, visas, tax exemptions, etc.).
- Attend inter-agency and other meetings, with specific focus on general administration, staff safety and human resources issues (i.e., common services), when requested.
- Implement processes and procedures to improve and strengthen internal controls in line with UNHCR rules and regulations.
- Coordinate the preparation of staffing and administrative budget requirements for the office.
- Provide support in the management for the premises, cleaning and security services, and other services as and when required.
- Undertake missions to field locations to review administrative arrangements and make appropriate recommendations as required.
- Provide guidance and oversight on processes related to the mission travel of staff.
- Coordinate training and capacity-building activities to staff in administrative related areas.
- In coordination with Human Resources and Field Security, undertake periodic reviews to ensure that the Office premises are set up and staff accommodation are managed in line with the organizational policies and any related issues are brought to the attention of DHR.
- Develop fleet/accessories’ replacement strategies, including the vehicle tracking systems (VTS) within the AoR considering UNHCR short, – and medium-term requirements.
- Establish and maintain the system of preventive maintenance and repairs of all vehicles and accessories, ensuring that repairs meet manufacturer’s specifications and requirement of UNHCR.
- Compile fleet and relevant accessories’ needs within the AoR while working with key stakeholders in projecting requirements based on standards or industry acceptable methodologies.
- Assess technical capacity of local commercial service providers for servicing and repair, ensuring frame agreements are entered into with such parties for the purposes of timely servicing and/or repair of vehicles (heavy/light) and/or accessories owned by UNHCR and other United Nations Agencies within the AoR.
- Evaluate the feasibility of, and select partners for projects within the AoR, based on objectives, priorities, strengths and resources of the implementing partners and/or contractors.
- Develop relevant contacts and build constructive relations with Government authorities, implementing partners, UN agencies and others, to foster cooperation within the AoR.
- Research the market, identify, assess and select vendors based on their capability for timely delivery of the right quality equipment, maintenance and repair facilities/services.
- Coordinate activities of vendors within the AoR. Monitor performance of vendors by analysing the products and delivery performance.
- Provide relevant counterparts with appropriate, cost-effective vehicles /accessories and professional services to support optimum programme delivery.
- Provide support in monitoring of quality and accuracy of related data in relevant business systems. Compile and analyse statistical information, identify trends, develop key performance indicators within the AoR.
- Disseminate, promote commitment to and monitor compliance with UNHCR’s global policies, standards and guidance on vehicle management.
- Assist with the updated of inventories of all UNHCR vehicles/accessories is maintained and work closely with Asset Management colleagues consolidate items for disposal and process disposal procedures with relevant Government authorities.
- Perform other related duties as required.
Education & Professional
- 6 years relevant experience with Undergraduate degree; or 5 years relevant experience with Graduate degree; or 4 years relevant experience with Doctorate degree
- Field of Education/Certificate
- Accounting, Public or Business Administration, Economics, Fleet Management, Logistics or other relevant field.
Relevant Job Experience
- At least 2 years of relevant work experience in an intergovernmental organization (United Nations or similar). Good knowledge of United Nations administrative, finance and human resources rules and procedures.
- Excellent computer skills, in particular in MS Office applications.
Completion of relevant UNHCR learning programme.
FI-Funds Monitoring/Identifying Cash Flow Problems
UN-UNHCR Financial Rules and Regulations and Procedures
Knowledge of English and UN working language of the duty station if not English.
Working language of Swahili (Written & spoken) desired.
Competency Requirements Core Competencies:
Teamwork & Collaboration
Commitment to Continuous Learning
Client & Result Orientation Managerial Competencies:
Judgement and Decision Making
Planning and Organizing
The successful candidate will be based with the team in Dar es Salaam, Tanzania.
This position is one year, and the start date is on 15 August 2022. It is a full-time role with working hours starting from 07:30am to 04:30pm Mondays to Thursdays and from 07:30am to 01:30pm on Fridays (40 hours per week)
Interested applicants should submit their application (UNHCR Personal History Form, motivation letter) to:
The Senior Human Resources Officer
Dar es Salaam
Email: [email protected]
Please note Tanzania Nationals are not eligible to apply.
The job title must be quoted on the application/motivation letter. The Personnel History Form (P11) herein attached must also be completed and attached.
Please note that UNHCR does not charge a fee at any stage of its recruitment process (application, interview, meeting, travelling, processing, training or any other fees).
Due to the volume of applications only short-listed candidates will be contacted.
Closing date of applications: 14 July 2022
The UNHCR workforce consists of many diverse cultures, languages and opinions. UNHCR seeks to sustain and strengthen this diversity to ensure equal opportunities as well as an inclusive working environment for its entire workforce. Applications are encouraged from all qualified candidates without distinction on grounds of race, colour, sex, national origin, age, religion, disability, sexual orientation and gender identity. Please note that UNHCR does not charge a fee at any stage of its recruitment process (application, interview, meeting, travelling, processing, training or any other fees).