Program Assistant – Social Empowerment at BRAC
Program Assistant – Social Empowerment at BRAC
Career with BRAC International
BRAC is an award-winning international non-governmental development organisation, with the vision of a world free from all forms of exploitation and discrimination, where everyone has the opportunity to realise their potential. BRAC is a leader in developing and implementing cost-effective, evidence-based programmes to assist poor and disadvantaged communities in low-income countries, including in conflict- prone and post-disaster settings. It is an organisation of and for the people of the Global South, pioneering new development and social enterprise approaches to equip communities to achieve prosperity. As well as being the world’s biggest NGO by number of staff and people directly reached, BRAC has regularly been ranked the number one NGO in the world by the Geneva-based NGO Advisor, an independent organisation committed to highlighting innovation, impact and governance in the non-profit sector. BRAC retained the top spot in 2020 among the top 500 NGOs for the fifth consecutive year.
BRAC was founded in Bangladesh in 1972 by Sir Fazle Hasan Abed. It started its first programme outside of Bangladesh in Afghanistan in 2002 and has since reached millions of people in 11 countries in Asia and Africa. BRAC has a holistic approach to development that uses a wide array of programmes and social enterprises, including in microfinance, education, health, agriculture, gender and human rights. BRAC believes that every person has inherent potential, and when an enabling environment is created and that potential is unleashed, even the poorest can become agents of positive change in their own lives, for their families and their communities.
BRAC Maendeleo Tanzania is part of a leading development organization that started its operations in
2006 in Tanzania, focusing on thematic areas of Agriculture, Youth and Women Empowerment, Food Security and Livelihood
About the Programme
The Mastercard Foundation in partnership with BRAC International (BI) will be announcing an initiative that will create a positive and measurable impact for 1.2 million adolescent girls and young women and 9.5 million people across seven countries in East and West Africa, including Ghana, Kenya, Liberia, Rwanda, Sierra Leone, Tanzania, and Uganda.
There is mounting urgency to support adolescent girls and young women (AGYW) living in poverty, which has been further amplified by the global pandemic. Through this partnership, scalable economic development approaches will be delivered in communities to foster the agency and voice of AGYW. They will have the opportunity to fulfill their aspirations, achieve sustainable livelihoods, and engage in advocacy issues.
BRAC International will implement an integrated and holistic model to address the various life cycles of a young woman living in poverty, ensuring she is able to transition safely from adolescence to adulthood. She will be equipped with the appropriate skills, tools, and access to finance to effectively exercise her agency and build a fulfilling and productive livelihood.
BRAC International is seeking applications from competent, dynamic and self- motivated individuals to fill the following positions in BRAC Maendeleo Tanzania
RELATED POST: Branch Manager at BRAC
PROGRAM ASSISTANT – SOCIAL EMPOWERMENT (AD# MCFBMT-2303)
The purpose of this position is to ensure overall implementation of social empowerment related components of the program including supporting social and economic empowerment training, building awareness about social and health related issues such as GBV, safe birth, contraception, disaster preparedness, sustainable livelihood.
- Lead the AIM program inception activities including community mobilization and participant selection, club selection and setup, mentor selection and onboarding, community mobilization, mapping and establishing social empowerment linkages for participants.
- Lead the implementation and supervision of social and economic empowerment activities in assigned clubs as per program design, activity plan and budget.
- Organize and support Youth Development Committees in the target communities.
- Ensure achievement of club-level program targets as per Implementation Guideline and report any operational/management issues to BM.
- Coordinate closely with the Technical Sector Specialists (TSS) to seek technical guidance and knowledge; provide support to TSS as needed.
- Guide and supervise mentor activities under the social empowerment component and develop their capacity by providing regular coaching, mentoring, and training.
- Attend monthly coordination meetings organized at the branch level and provide updates on club activities, flagging any issues needing attention from the branch/area manager.
- Support BM with all branch level procurement and logistics and other tasks, as required.
- Ensure cash flow by submitting cash requisition timely for smooth day to day operations.
- Organize and facilitate social empowerment training for participants; provide support to connect program participants with broader linkage services.
- Follow-up closely with participants to minimize attrition and prepare monthly attendance reports and bi-monthly drop-out reports.
- Prepare MIS and financial reports and other reports and ensure timely submission.
Advanced diploma or degree in Social Science /Anthropology /Sociology or other relevant fields
SKILLS AND COMPETENCIES
- Ability to spend extended periods of time in the field and travel within the country.
- Proficient in using mobile devices, and computers, particularly with Microsoft Office
- Strong sense of teamwork and collaboration and demonstrated ability to build relationships with individuals from diverse backgrounds.
- Personal qualities of integrity, credibility, and dedication to the mission of BRAC
At least 1 years’ experience in the international development sector, including experience working with marginalized communities to implement community development programs including microfinance, livelihood, agricultural and food security, and/or girl’s and women’s empowerment programs.
EMPLOYMENT TYPE: CONTRACTUAL
JOB LOCATION: Dar es Salaam, Tanga, Morogoro, Dodoma, Singida, Tabora, Mbeya, Mwanza, Iringa and Songwe
If you feel you are the right match for the above-mentioned position, please follow the application instructions accordingly:
Candidate needs to email their CV with a letter of interest mentioning educational grades, years of experience, current and expected salary at: firstname.lastname@example.org
Please mention the name of the position, region of your preference and AD# in the subject bar.
Only complete applications will be accepted, and shortlisted candidates will be contacted. Women are highly encouraged to apply.
Application deadline: 26th May 2023
BRAC is committed to safeguarding children, young people, and vulnerable adults, and expects all employees and volunteers to share the same commitment. We believe every stakeholder and every member of the communities we work with has the right to be protected from all forms of harm, abuse, neglect, harassment, and exploitation – regardless of age, race, religion, and gender, status as an individual with a disability or ethnic origin. Therefore, our recruitment process includes extensive reference and background checks, self-disclosure of prior issues regarding sexual or other misconduct and criminal records and our values are a part of our Performance Management System.
BRAC is an equal opportunities employer.